- This event has passed.
Birding on the North Shore of Lake Ontario
Saturday, September 23 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Join David on a full-day outing to see migratory birds. Car pooling is encouraged. There are at least five stops:
- First stop will be at the DesJardins Canal in Dundas, ON where a wide range of waterfowl is
possible, including close views of Hooded Merganser. In September this location is almost a certainty for adult and juvenile Black-crowned Night Herons. Carolina Wren has been present during recent visits.
- After leaving DesJardins we will check at Woodland Cemetery to see if the Eastern Screech Owls are cooperating, and make a stop at Grindstone Creek with a short foray into Hendrie Valley Sanctuary. Here you stand a chance to have a Downy Woodpecker feed from your hand.
- We will then head to LaSalle Park in Burlington where the first Trumpeter Swans of the fall should be present, in addition to gulls, a few lingering terns, cormorants, grebes and waterfowl. A walk along the boardwalk through the wooded area might yield Carolina Wren, Northern Mockingbird, woodpeckers, sparrows and, for those who enjoy doing it, the chance to hand feed Black-capped Chickadees. Many other common passerines should be seen.
- We will then check out Paletta Park where the wooded area and the lakeshore often yield good birding. Migratory warblers are often numerous at this location.
- If time permits we will check at Bronte Harbour in Oakville, and Lakefront Promenade in Mississauga, where both Horned and Red-necked Grebes are possible, and possibly Fish Crows at Bronte. Migratory Common Loons are sometimes present.
There is no shortage of washroom stops along this route and we will stop somewhere to have lunch together.
This is a full day outing so be sure to pack a lunch and snacks if you need them. Dress according to the weather, bring binoculars, a scope if you have one, a field guide and lots of enthusiasm.
In the event of rain, this event will be cancelled and not rescheduled. Participants should check the website the day before to confirm if the outing is proceeding in the even that rain is a possibility.
Non-members are welcome to join but must sign a waiver.
Meeting point: Please meet at 8 am at the commuter parking lot – Highway 6 south of 401.