WRN Kids have wrapped up another great year. To see all the other interesting things they have been up to over the past 9 months visit their blog at https://wrnatureclub.wordpress.com/blog.
Biothon and Pot Luck Picnic - May 27 2017
We had a great time wrapping WRN Kids up for the year! We had a small turn-out of Kids but the 4 families, 4 volunteers, 1 naturalist and 3 special guests (thanks for joining us, WRN board members Josh, Paul and Rachael!) managed to find and record exactly 105 different living things! We're pretty proud of our work!
We spent time at the pond where we enjoyed some very jumpy amphibians and got a glimpse of a painted turtle, our only reptile. We caught lots of dragonfly nymphs and learned about their amazing transformation from water creature to flying creature.
Remembering to keep an eye out all the time for birds (20 species!), we hunted for bugs in the field then walked through the beautiful wetland and forest investigating fungi and trying to identify plants. We were disappointed not to find salamanders but did manage to spot a few mammals including a rabbit, a chipmunk, a few humans and evidence of deer.
We were pretty hungry by this time so we headed back to the nature centre to spread out our pot luck picnic and share the feast! We had a great meal and chatted about new adventures for next year.
Thanks to everybody who helped make WRN Kids a great experience for Kids and their families this year.
- Thanks to Waterloo Region Nature for inventing and supporting WRN Kids!
- Thanks to Grand River Conservation Authority and the folks at Laurel Creek Nature Centre for providing a perfect place for us to meet and explore.
- Thanks to Garrison McCleary on the GRCA staff for being an awesome leader and teacher.
- Thanks to WRN Kids volunteers from the adult club; Pat, Linda, Susie, Cathi, Jenn and Matt; and to our high school student volunteers; Jotham and Linden.
- Thanks to Richard, Cathi and Paul for taking care of WRN Kids social media.
- Thanks to the WRN Kids' adults for signing your great Kids up for this club!... and then coming along with them every time!
- And especially, thanks to the nature-loving Kids who come out to learn more about nature. We honestly believe you are making the world a better place.
If you were wondering about next year, it turns out there are some pretty amazing programs we haven't tried yet so looks like 2017-18 will be an all-new list of adventures! We really hope to see lots of you back at WRN Kids! Tell your friends and cousins and classmates! Any kids 7 to 12 years old are welcome to come out with an adult.
Have a safe and wonderful summer exploring nature! Looking forward to hearing about it in September!
WRN Kids coordinator